Friday, July 31, 2009

Routines

The say routines are good for babies. I think they are good for parents. Some days I just crave knowing that I'm going to have certain times to myself. Not because I don't love my little girl, but sometimes I just want "me time".

Growing up my Dad was really strict about routines. He didn't like unexpected plans. We had to tell him a week in advance, or we couldn't do whatever it is we were hankering to do. I'm a little more flexible, but that concept is ingrained in me. So my husband, who likes to make plans a few hours in advance, drives me crazy. Particularly because he makes the plans, but I'm the one who has to pack up the baby and anything else we need (like oh, by the way, we need to bring food tonight!). So I feel a little justified in wanting some prep time.

What amazes me is how easily Bubbles falls into routines. She knows when Daddy is supposed to get home. She knows that's when she usually gets to play outside. And she's ready, banging on the gate with her shoes, or, if we're already downstairs she'll go and sit in front of the stairs with a pair of shoes, trying to put them on.

Bubbles didn't start out well routined. We tried to create some, but particularly since she was breastfed - she ate when she was hungry and slept when she was tired. We tried to go with her flow, so things like growth spurts didn't put us in a frenzy. It's easier to do that kind of thing when you're home. I'm sure if she was in daycare she'd had a great schedule going.

So I wonder, when she grows up, will Bubbles be spontaneous like her dad. Or a planner like me?

No comments:

Post a Comment