You know how you can tell a good friend? You haven't seen them in 7 years, and when you see one another there is no awkwardness, it's like you were never apart.
A friend from high school sent me a message via Facebook that she was in the state. The wonderful state of Maryland. This is important, because we both grew up in San Diego, CA. She lives in Northern CA now, and I'm on the east coast. So to be in the same state was an unusual occurrence. So, we cleared the schedule, and took my daughter to her brother-in-laws house to meet her and her daughter.
The house was packed with three 3-year olds, a four-year old, a 6-year old, and my little 1-year old. And corresponding adults. I was so proud of my baby. She was falling over (literally) tired, but never once did she get cranky. She was sweet and sociable, smiling and laughing, and playing with kids and adults alike.
And to see my long lost friend, was fantastic. There was a lot of catching up, a lot of realizing I didn't remember much about her given our 7 year friendship, but we've also changed a lot. I realized she didn't hate me, and wasn't mad at me over things I remember that she doesn't. The last time I saw her I was going through a really rough time, and I sort of missed her college graduation party. We never talked again. I had a good reason, for the missing part, not for the not calling. It no longer mattered. Not only did it feel good, but it gives me hope too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That's awesome! I have a friend like this and when we met for lunch it was like we picked up right where we left off.
ReplyDelete